The LORD's Church
The Church of Christ is the “Ekklesia” or assembly of those people who have been called out of the domain of darkness through faithful obedience to the gospel of Christ into His eternal Kingdom.
Scripture References: Matthew 16:18, Colossians 1:13-14
- The Purpose, Mission, and Vision of the LORD’s Church
- Purpose – The purpose of the church is to glorify the LORD in their bodies in all they say and do.
- Mission – The mission of the church is to seek and to save the lost.
- Vision – The vision of the church is a holy and blameless people prepared to meet the LORD clothed in righteousness.
Scripture References: 1 Corinthians 10:31-33, 1 Peter 4:11, Mark 15:15-16, Matthew 28:19-20, Ephesians 4:13, Revelation 19:7-8
- Governance of the LORD’s Church – Christ is the head of the church which is His body. All members of the body of Christ are considered ministers or priests and each has an important part to fulfill in building up the church. There are ministers that are to be ordained to serve the body in a leadership capacity.
Scripture References: Colossians 1:17-18, 1 Peter 2:5 & 9, Ephesians 4:11-16
3. Church Leadership
- Evangelists – Evangelists are ministers ordained to preach and teach the Word of God, to reprove, rebuke, and exhort. They are responsible for ordaining and disciplining elders when needed.
- Elders – Elders are ministers ordained to set the example of Christ-like conduct, to exercise oversight in the local congregation, to teach sound doctrine and preach the gospel when necessary.
- Deacons – Deacons are servants who are delegated to fulfill a specific task to keep the church body functioning smoothly.
Scripture References: 2 Timothy 4:1-2, 1 Timothy 5:19-22, 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9, 1 Timothy 3:8-13, Acts 6:1-6